Uganda Peoples Congress
Uganda Peoples Congress
Plot 8-10 Kampala Road, Uganda House,
P. O. Box 9206, Kampala
Civilised Politics Should Prevail
(Embargoed for release at 11.00am , 17th October, 2007)
- The Uganda Peoples Congress last week on Saturday successfully held the second memorial service and anniversary in honour of its great leader and founding father of our nation, also twice President of the Republic of Uganda Dr. Apollo Milton Obote in Mbale District.
- The National Celebration and commemoration was attended by delegates of congress men and congress women from all over the country. District Local Government officials and leaders belonging to different political parties within Mbale District and beyond including former Ministers and Members of Parliament.
- The UPC celebration in Mbale were held a few days after the deployment of Major Ronald Kakooza Mutale of the infamous Kalangala Action plan thing who uttered a very unfortunate statement to the effect that for purposes of Museveni fourth term campaign which is actually the 6 th term campaign he was willing and ready not to die for Uganda but to kill allegedly for Uganda.
- These criminal utterances should not be taken lightly, given the violent history of Kakooza Mutale Kalangala Action Plan and President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni before, during and after every election they have participated in.
- The people of Uganda will recall that barely two months after miserably losing in the 1980 general elections and without challenging those elections in courts of law President Yoweri's Museven plunged this country into an atrocious civil law that has had far reaching consequences on the Ugandan polity and for Ugandans. The NRA skulls that still litter Luwero triangle were to be repeated at greater magnitude in Teso, Northern Uganda, Karamoja, Rwanda , Southern Sudan and Democratic Republic of Congo and they have never been accounted for.
- UPC is aware of Museven's long life ambition to hold onto power at all cost and UPC predicted that Museveni will apply different methodologies particularly violence, harassment and intimidation of his opponents to cling onto power. The utterances by Kakooza Mutale merely confirms, those earlier made by Maj. Gen. Kahinda Otafiire, Brigadier Kasirye Gwanga and Sgt. Gita Musoke that they are the ones who killed people in Luwero and as part of the NRM philosophy and ideology they will continue to use violence.
- The Uganda People's Congress as it has done in the past shall continue to challenge the violent politics of NRM. We call upon all party supporters, Ugandans of good will and friends of Uganda to redouble their efforts and strike hard at the very core of these politics of violence. All citizens of Uganda deserve to live in peace and participate in the politics of their country without fear or hindrance.
- Finally Uganda People's Congress will not rest until civilized politics is restored in our mother land. The politics of violence, intimidation and harassment will not work in the new multiparty dispensation.
For God and my Country
Mama Miria Kalule Obote
President, Uganda Peoples Congress